Two scenes in “The Falcon and the Winter Soldier” were edited for mature content and violence by accident.
Driving the news: The Direct (via Polygon) found that two moments in the third episode of “The Falcon and the Winter Soldier” — titled “The Power Broker” — had been modified for graphic and mature content.
One scene shows former Hydra scientist Dr. Nagel after he was shot.
- The original frame showed blood splattered around the scientist.
- The new one edited the blood out.
A second scene showed Sebastian Stan’s Bucky Barnes throwing a pipe at an attacker.
- The original version showed the pipe slicing through the attacker’s arm.
- The revised version shows the pipe spinning out of frame.
- The scene of the pipe going through flesh remains.
Why it happened: An unnamed Disney+ source told io9 that the changes were made “due to a version control issue uploading a cut of the episode in error.”
What’s next: Disney+ is working to update the episodes to restore them to their original version.
The bigger picture: Disney+ added a number of mature titles in recent weeks, adding TV-MA Marvel titles (formerly on Netflix) onto the streaming service, as I wrote for the Deseret News.
- The decision to add these shows was a sign that the platform may become more than a family-friendly streaming service.