Editor’s note: This story will be updated as further NFL transactions involving Utah ties occur between now and the start of the 2022 NFL regular season.
Former University of Utah wide receiver/return specialist Britain Covey, a Utah native and Timpview High standout, is one of 19 Utah ties who thus far have signed to an NFL practice squad.
Of these, seven are former Utes, five are from BYU and four from Utah State, one from Weber State and a total of nine who played high school football in Utah.
Covey told the Deseret News’ Jeff Call at the outset of training camp that it was important to him to show his versatility — that he’s an NFL-caliber receiver, and not only a return specialist.
“It’s important because maybe 15 years ago you could, but you’ll never make the team as just a return man these days. You’ve got to be a receiver first, a return man second. That’s why I was excited to do OTAs, knowing we wouldn’t do very much special teams. I did really well,” he told Call.
“... I’ve always prided myself on my knowledge of the game. I knew every position so I jumped in there. Whether it’s inside receiver or outside receiver, it doesn’t matter.”
Utah ties on NFL practice squads
Here’s every Utah tie who has signed to a practice squad:
- Khyiris Tonga, DT, BYU and Granger High
- Kyler Fackrell, LB, Utah State
- Marquise Blair, S, Utah
- Derek Wright, WR, Utah State, Snow College and Manti High
- Darrin Paulo, OL, Utah
- Chris Wilcox, CB, BYU
- Nick Ford, OL, Utah
Kansas City Chiefs
- Zayne Anderson, S, BYU and Stansbury High
Las Vegas Raiders
- Cole Fotheringham, TE, Utah
- James Empey, C, BYU and American Fork High
- Porter Gustin, LB, Salem Hills High
New England Patriots
- Harvey Langi, LB, BYU, Utah and Bingham High
New Orleans Saints
- Nephi Sewell, LB, Utah and Desert Hills High
- Rashid Shaheed, WR, Weber State
New York Jets
- Bradlee Anae, DE, Utah
- Britain Covey, WR/ret., Utah and Timpview High
- Noah Togiai, TE, Hunter High
- Darwin Thompson, RB, Utah State
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Deven Thompkins, WR, Utah State