So what is the difference between the two variants? Here’s a quick breakdown.
What is the delta variant?
- So far, the delta variant has been stalled by the COVID-19 vaccines, for the most part.
- However, emerging data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found the vaccine’s effectiveness dropped from 91% to 66% when the delta variant became the majority of virus cases in the U.S.
- Similarly, officials in Israel said the mRNA COVID-19 vaccine from Pfizer might not be totally effective against the delta variant of the coronavirus, too, as I wrote for the Deseret News.
What is the lambda variant?
The lambda variant was first discovered in Peru in summer 2020, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- The variant has not been spreading too fast in the United States. There have been cases in Texas and it has started to spread in California.
- The lambda variant allegedly has two mutations that give it the ability to evade vaccines.