The original script for “Star Wars: Episode IX” has reportedly leaked online, and it shows a much different version of the final film than the one we got.
What’s going on: The leaked script — which was first shared to Reddit — was penned by Colin Trevorrow, who was originally picked to direct the final film of the Skywalker saga, and Derek Connolly.
- Trevorrow was fired from the project over creative disagreements, per Collider.
- Lucasfilm hired J.J. Abrams back instead.
What it was called: “Duel of Fates” would have been the original title of the final film.
The opening crawl: The leaks included an alleged new opening crawl.
The iron grip of the FIRST ORDER has spread to the farthest reaches of the galaxy. Only a few scattered planets remain unoccupied. Traitorous acts are punishable by death.
Determined to suffocate a growing unrest, Supreme Leader KYLO REN has silenced all communication between neighboring systems.
Led by GENERAL LEIA ORGANA, the Resistance has planned a secret mission to prevent their annihilation and forge a path to freedom ...
What would have happened: There’s a lot to unpack about from the leaked script. You can read the entire breakdown at Reddit. We’ve picked out several highlights that will have Star Wars fans going berserk.
- Rey would have had a double-bladed lightsaber that included Luke’s cracked blue lightsaber.
- Coruscant would have played a role. It would have been filled with scavengers and been home to the First Order.
- Rey, Finn and Poe would have stolen a star destroyer ship.
- Kylo Ren would have been the main villain.
- Kylo Ren would spend time on Mustafar, haunted by Luke’s Force ghost.
- Kylo Ren would have found a Sith Holocron with a hologram message from Emperor Palpatine, who would relay a message meant for Darth Vader. The message would say to meet an ancient Sith teacher on a distant planet.
- Kylo Ren would have destroyed Vader’s helmet in anger.
- General Hux becomes Chancellor Hux and leads the First Order from a political standpoint.
- There would have bene an increase emphasis on the battle between the Resistance and the First Order.
- Rose plays a bigger role. She gets captured and is tortured before escaping.
- Kylo and Rey battle on the planet Mortis, using Force energy.
- Kylo reveals he killed Rey’s parents.
- Luke, Obi Wan and Yoda try to convince Kylo Ren to join the light side of the Force.
- Kylo Ren is then “extingiuished.”
- Resistance and the First Order battle. Resistance wins.
- Han Solo appears at some point.
Yes, but: As Esquire points out, Disney nor Trevorrow have confirmed these leaks. They likely won’t ever support them as the true story.
- Right now, these are just claims from a Star Wars Reddit board, which previously shared leaked photos and details from “The Rise of Skywalker” that ended up becoming true, according to Esquire.
- “Real or not, this alternate story for ‘Episode IX’ feels cathartic to read right now. It’s refreshing to imagine something–anything–different than the film J.J. Abrams made. Who knows, maybe Trevorrow will actually get to direct a ‘Star Wars’ movie someday.”