A Utah high school band appeared in the season finale of “High School Musical: The Musical: The Series.”
What happened: The Canyons District tweeted a photo from the Disney Plus “High School Musical” series, which showed the Alta High School marching band in the background of the scene.
Who is that in the background of the finale of #HSMTMTS? It’s the @altahighhawks Marching Band! Find out more about the band’s appearance on the Disney+ show at https://t.co/4gLmSbMxL5. #gohawks #artseducation pic.twitter.com/lsKwEBKzbF— Canyons District (@canyonsdistrict) January 13, 2020
- The band appeared as the cast sang its rendition of “We’re All in This Together,” the iconic song from the original “High School Musical.” The original song was performed by Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens.
- Fifty students from the school appear as extras on the show.
- Alta marching band adviser Caleb Shabestari talked to Disney in June about including the band in the finale.
- The students sent in headshots to producers and had to sign a nondisclosure agreement, which kept them from addressing the show in public.
- The Hawks visited East High in Salt Lake City to film the event. They filmed for 13 hours.
What they’re saying: Alta High senior Sarah Rock-Ward told the Canyons District she was excited to appear on screen.
- “I was just like, ‘Hey, that’s me!’ That was so cool. I was like, ‘Are you kidding me? I am actually on that screen.’ I mean, ‘High School Musical’ was my childhood, and here I am, getting to do this with all of my friends.”
- Shabestari: “It was a fantastic experience for the kids. They got to see what professional musicians go through.”