Disney Plus made a massive change to its 2020 lineup that will add a new Marvel series to the mix.
What happened: Disney Plus announced that the new show “WandaVision” — which will focus on the life of The Vision and Scarlet Witch — will drop in 2020. It was originally slated to launch in 2021, according to Variety.
- The exact release date hasn’t been revealed.
- The news came when Disney Plus shared a video online that teased all the forthcoming shows for 2020, which included ‘WandaVision.” The teaser showed the two main characters dressed in 1950s garb.
- Marvel Studios previously said the series would debut in 2021.
- Elizabeth Olsen, who plays Wanda/Scarlett Witch, said the show is “gonna get weird.”
- Olsen: “We’re gonna go deep, we’re gonna have lots of surprises, and we’re gonna finally understand Wanda Maximoff as the Scarlet Witch.”
Connection: The show will be a next step forward in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It will reportedly have connections to the 2021 film “Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness.” A separate show based on the character “Loki” will do the same.
Why it matters: Disney Plus is likely making the switch to give viewers another option for 2020, according to Engadget.
- “This might give you a reason to stay subscribed throughout 2020 if ‘The Falcon and the Winter Soldier,’ more ‘Mandalorian’ and out-of-theaters movies aren’t enough,” according to Engadget.