We now have our first look at “Avatar 2.”
What the photos show: The new concept art offers a look at the following scenes:
- Blue aliens riding the winged Banshee characters flying above a beach.
- Na’vis looking at the horizon.
- A dark world with a glowing platform with a planet in the far distance.
- Floating rocks above a body of water.
Reactions: A number of reactions to the photos surfaced online.
- Gizmodo: “While the images don’t at all look like anything we’d ever see on screen associated with the new projects — or what we saw of Pandora in the original ‘Avatar’ — they all demonstrate that if and when these movies come out, they’re going to spend a significant amount of time exploring aspects of the moon that we haven’t seen yet.”
- Forbes: “I’m not sure what to think. I’d love it if this really were a game. I guess what my brain is telling me is that these just aren’t pieces of concept art, they’re actually screenshots. Even though I know that’s not true, that’s what my brain instinctively thinks when I look at these images.”
What to expect: Cameron said “Avatar 2” will feature more vehicles and machines than just alien life, Variety reports.
- Cameron (via CNET): “I also love the hard stuff. The vehicles, spacecraft, aircraft, ground vehicles, weapons, the hardware. I’m a total geek when it comes to that stuff. We have a lot of cool vehicles for you.”
Release date: The film is slated to drop in December 2021, according to People magazine.
- Three more sequels are due in 2023, 2025 and 2027.