Celebrate Halloween in Utah with corn mazes, ‘Hocus Pocus’ and more
There are plenty of Halloween events going on across Utah this year, including BooLights at Utah’s Hogle Zoo, family-friendly outdoor movies at The Gateway in Salt Lake City, a scarecrow festival at Thanksgiving Point in Lehi, and more.
Halloween is right around the corner, and that means many places in Utah have begun to celebrate All Hallow’s Eve. There are plenty of spooky events and activities going on all month long. Here are just some of the Halloween events to look forward to in Utah in October.
Note: This is not an all-inclusive list and events are subject to change. Email email@example.com with information, including location, dates and times, for any additional holiday events in Utah.
Utah’s Hogle Zoo
- What: BooLights is happening at Utah’s Hogle Zoo. Activities for this year include a night train ride, a walk through the Bat Cave and a wizard-themed maze.
- When: Select dates between Oct. 1-30; evenings between 6:30-9:30 p.m.
Heber Valley Railroad
- What: Heber Valley Railroad will have two Halloween-themed train rides during the month of October — the family-friendly “Pumpkin Train” and the “Halloween Train.”
- When: Select dates between Oct. 1-30.
- What: Corn maze and other events and activities, including fireworks on Friday and Saturday nights, hay rides, “haunts,” and more.
- When: Through Oct. 31 (closed Sundays).
Thanksgiving Point Scarecrow Festival
- What: Weeklong festival with dozens of scarecrows built and contributed by members of the community. There will also be outdoor games, crafts, music and food.
- When: Oct. 12-17, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
Red Butte Garden
- What: BOOtanical at Red Butte Garden will feature family-friendly activities, including special tasks to complete from the “seven monarchs of Halloween.”
- When: Oct. 1-31; free admission on Mondays and Tuesdays-Sundays from 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
Wheeler Historic Farm
- What: Pumpkin Days at Wheeler Farm includes a hay maze, pumpkin patch and a wagon or cow train ride.
- When: Through Oct. 31.
Living Planet Aquarium
Frights Under Lights
- What: Halloween music and a light show on EECO at the aquarium’s Rio Tinto Kennecott Plaza.
- When: Oct. 3 and 24
- What: Trick-or-treating in the aquarium.
- When: Oct. 23-24 and 30-31.
Ogden’s George S. Eccles Dinosaur Park
- What: The “Dinos in the Dark” event will take place during evenings in October.
- When: Select dates between Oct. 15-30.
North Logan Pumpkin Walk
- What: Displays and scenes created with carved and pumpkins.
- When: Oct. 15-17 and 19-20, 9 a.m.-10 p.m.
American West Heritage Center
- What: The Fall Harvest Festival will include train rides, pony rides, a corn maze, and other activities.
- When: Oct. 16-17, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. The corn maze and Haunted Hollow are also taking place at American West Heritage Center on select dates throughout the month of October.
Every Saturday in October, The Gateway in Salt Lake City will show a Halloween-themed movie on the Olympic Plaza. The lineup is:
- “Hocus Pocus” — Oct. 3
- “The Nightmare Before Christmas” — Oct. 10
- “Labyrinth” — Oct. 17
- “Beetlejuice” — Oct. 24
- Voters’ Choice — Oct. 31
Salt Lake County Library
“Freaky Family Films” will be shown every Monday evening in October at the Viridian Events Center in West Valley City, featuring these movies:
- “The Nightmare Before Christmas” — Oct. 5
- “Hotel Transylvania” — Oct. 12
- “Monsters Inc.” — Oct. 19
- “Creature From the Black Lagoon” — Oct. 26
“Food, Fright and Flicks” will take place at the Viridian Events Center every Thursday evening in October, with food trucks and the following movies (intended for adult audiences):
- “A Nightmare on Elm Street” — Oct. 8
- “The Ring” — Oct. 15
- “Get Out” — Oct. 22
- “Doctor Sleep” — Oct. 29
Salt Lake Film Society
The Salt Lake Film Society will be showing some spooky movies during two weekends in October at its Studio Backlot Motor Cinema drive-in theater. The movies are:
- “Get Out” — Oct. 16
- “They Live” — Oct. 17
- “Halloween” — Oct. 23
- “Hereditary” — Oct. 24
Utah Film Center
Utah Film Center will show a series of local Halloween-themed short films at its Midvale Drive-In theater on Oct. 9.
Cinemark Theatres and Megaplex Theatres
Select Cinemark and Megaplex Theatres will be screening a variety of movies throughout October, including:
- “Hocus Pocus” — opens Oct. 2
- “Friday the 13th” — Oct. 4, 6-7
- “Psycho” — Oct. 11-12
- “The Nightmare Before Christmas” — opens Oct. 16 (Megaplex only)
- “The Shining” — Oct. 17, 20, 22
- RiffTrax: “Jack-O” — Oct. 21
- “The Addams Family.” Runs through Oct. 24 at Pickleville Playhouse in Garden City, Rich County.
- “Arsenic and Old Lace.” Runs Oct. 1-26 at Harman Theatre in West Valley City.
- “Legend of Sleepy Hollow.” Runs Oct. 3-31 at Parker Theatre in Salt Lake City.
- “Thriller.” Performed by Odyssey Dance Theatre. Runs Oct. 5-6 at the Ellen Eccles Theatre in Logan; Oct. 8-9 at Peery’s Egyptian Theater in Ogden; Oct. 20-24 at Capitol Theatre in Salt Lake City; Oct. 27-31 at Tuacahn Amphitheatre in Ivins, Washington County.
- “Sleepy Hollow.” Runs Oct. 15-31 at the Covey Center for the Arts in Provo.
- “Dracula vs. the Adamms Family.” Runs Oct. 3-Nov. 7 at the Off-Broadway Theatre in Draper.
- “Agatha Christie’s Murder on the Orient Express.” Runs through Nov. 14 at Hale Centre Theatre in Sandy.