The Walt Disney Company announced Thursday that“Soul” — the new Pixar Animation Studios film — will debut exclusively on Christmas.
- The new film will be released on Disney Plus on Dec. 25.
- “Soul”will still be released in theaters where Disney Plus is not available. But the date has yet to be determined.
- The film’s cast includes Jamie Foxx, Tina Fey, Phylicia Rashad, Ahmir Questlove Thompson, Angela Bassett and Daveed Diggs.
- “We are thrilled to share Pixar’s spectacular and moving ‘Soul’ with audiences direct to Disney Plus in December,” said Bob Chapek, chief executive officer of the Walt Disney Company. “A new original Pixar film is always a special occasion, and this truly heartwarming and humorous story about human connection and finding one’s place in the world will be a treat for families to enjoy together this holiday season.”
- “The world can be an exhausting and frustrating place — but it’s also full of unexpected joys, even in seemingly mundane things,” said Pete Docter, director of “Soul” and chief creative officer of Pixar Animation Studios. “‘Soul’ investigates what’s really important in our lives, a question we’re all asking these days. I hope it will bring some humor and fun to people at a time when everyone can surely use that.”
Why it’s on Disney Plus
It doesn’t seem like the film will be released through Premier Access — which is how “Mulan” got released on Disney Plus last month.
- “Over the last six months, marketplace conditions created by the ongoing pandemic, while difficult in so many ways, have also provided an opportunity for innovation in approaches to content distribution. With over 60 million subscribers within the first year of launch, the Disney Plus platform is an ideal destination for families and fans to enjoy a marquee Pixar film in their own homes like never before,” Disney Plus said in a statement.