Just over a month into resuming production, “Stranger Things” has announced some major updates to the upcoming fourth season.
What’s going on:
- Jamie Campbell Bower (“Sweeney Todd”) joins as Peter Ballard, a man who works at a psychiatric hospital.
- Eduardo Franco plays Argyle, Jonathan’s new best friend, according to Variety.
- Joseph Quinn will take on the role of Eddie Munson, who runs The Hellfire Club — the title of the first episode, and Hawkins High’s official Dungeons and Dragons club.
Joseph Quinn aka Eddie Munson. He's the head of the Hawkins High official D&D Club, The Hellfire Club. pic.twitter.com/Hase8xIfsu— Stranger Things (@Stranger_Things) November 20, 2020
- Robert Englund — well known for playing Freddy Krueger in “A Nightmare on Elm Street” — plays Victor Creel, a man imprisoned in a psychiatric hospital for a murder years ago.
- Other roles include “Game of Thrones” star Tom Wlaschiha as Dmitri, a Russian prison guard who befriends Hopper; Nikola Djuricko as a Russian smuggler named Yuri; Sherman Augustus as the “intelligent, no-nonsense” Lt. Colonel Sullivan; and Mason Dye as Jason Carver, a sports star dating the most popular girl in school.
- “Stranger Things” announced the new cast members on Twitter on Nov. 20.
Mason Dye aka Jason Carver is a handsome, rich athlete who is dating the most popular girl in school. But as a new evil threatens Hawkins, his perfect world begins to unravel. pic.twitter.com/HODaBaZaqL— Stranger Things (@Stranger_Things) November 20, 2020
“Stranger Things” resumed filming in September.
- According to Shawn Levy, the show’s executive producer, the downtime during the pandemic has led to the quality of the screenplays being “exceptional, maybe better than ever,” the Deseret News previously reported.
Netflix has not yet announced a release date for season 4. Originally, the season’s release was expected in 2020. Now, season 4 — which has at least eight episodes — has been officially delayed to 2021, the Deseret News reported.
- Based on filming schedules, the earliest the new season could come out is July or August, according to Radio Times.
Fans can also expect more beyond season 4.
- “Season 4 won’t be the end,” Ross Duffer told the Hollywood Reporter in August. “We know what the end is, and we know when it is.”
For more information about the new season, view here.