“The Batman” has made its debut thanks to director Matt Reeves.
What’s going on?
- Reeves shared a video to Vimeo and Twitter that offered camera test footage of “The Batman,” the forthcoming DC Comics film about the titular character.
- The brief clip shows Batman (Robert Pattinson) standing in a red room. Music plays around him.
- That’s the most we’re getting out of the film so far following weeks of rumors that a picture or post about Batman would drop on social media, according to ComicBook.com.
How did social media react?
Here are a few tweets to summarize the social media reaction.
Is it possible to have a 30 second tune stuck in your head? Because I do... and it's from #TheBatman.— BD (@BrandonDavisBD) February 13, 2020
This is going to break the internet for the rest of the day, as any #TheBatman related stuff does. #MattReeves is not playing around and finally #DCFilms is dominating the visual narrative before the paparazzis. pic.twitter.com/ZtSB9af4un— Luiz Fernando (@Luiz_Fernando_J) February 13, 2020
Who is the next Batman?
- Pattinson, who skyrocketed to nationwide popularity for his role as Edward Cullen in “Twilight,” will appear as the hero.
- Pattinson will follow Ben Affleck, Christian Bale and Michael Keaton, who all took on the role in the past.
- Pattinson told Variety he’s been thinking of the role for a while:
- “It’s such an absurd thing to say. I sort of had an idea to do it, and I’d been prodding Matt. He didn’t accept any prods. I kept asking to meet him.”
Who else is in ‘The Batman’ movie?
- Colin Farrell will star as the Penguin.
- Andy Serkis will reportedly be involved as Alfred Pennyworth.
- Paul Dano will play the Riddler.
What should you expect from the new “The Batman” movie?
- Reeves told The Hollywood Reporter: “It’s very much a point of view-driven, noir Batman tale. It’s told very squarely on his shoulders, and I hope it’s going to be a story that will be thrilling but also emotional. It’s more Batman in his detective mode than we’ve seen in the films. The comics have a history of that. He’s supposed to be the world’s greatest detective, and that’s not necessarily been a part of what the movies have been. I’d love this to be one where when we go on that journey of tracking down the criminals and trying to solve a crime, it’s going to allow his character to have an arc so that he can go through a transformation.”
When does ‘The Batman’ hit theaters?
- The new film is scheduled to be released on June 25, 2021.