What’s the news:
- “National Treasure” — the historical adventure film about a team, led by Nicolas Cage, that steals the Declaration of Independence — is now available on Disney Plus, the streaming service from Walt Disney Company.
- “National Treasure” previously existed on Netflix only.
- Per ComicBook.com: “Even though ‘National Treasure’ has been available on Netflix this entire time, Disney fans who don’t want to pay for two streaming services have been left frustrated.”
- The film’s sequel — “National Treasure: Book of Secrets” — was available on Disney Plus, though, causing fans to swap between the two services.
- This is a similar scenario for “Avengers” fans, who want to watch “Infinity War,” which is available on Netflix, and “Endgame,” which is on Disney Plus.
A third film on the way
As I wrote for Deseret News, “National Treasure 3” is in the works for Disney. In fact, “Bad Boys for Life” writer Chris Bremner is writing the sequel for the film. Bremner will work with Jerry Bruckheimer on the film.
Back in 2018, Jon Turteltaub, who directed the “National Treasure” films, told Collider that Disney delayed the release of “National Treasure 3” because the company had too many films in the pipeline. Now, it appears Disney wants more content.
- Turteltaub said: “When ‘National Treasure’ first got made, there was a lot more money to go around. Everybody got paid nicely. The problem with getting the third one made isn’t the people who are getting paid saying, ‘I’m not doing it unless you pay me a lot!’ It’s really that Disney feels they have other films they want to make that they think will make them more money. I think they’re wrong. I think they’re right about the movies they’re making; they’re obviously doing a really good job at making great films. I just think this would be one of them, and they don’t quite realize how much the internet is begging for a third ‘National Treasure.’”