EA later confirmed the game to be real and in development. The reveal trailer of “Star Wars: Squadrons” will happen this Monday, June 15 at 9 a.m. MT.
What’s the news:
- A piece of artwork appeared on Xbox.com Friday, showing what appeared to be a Rebel pilot and imperial TIE fighter pilot with TIE fighters and Rebel Alliance ships soaring around them.
- The tagline “pilots wanted” accompanied the painting with a preorder button. The button went to a broken link, according to Polygon.
- No other details were available.
- In March, “Star Wars: Project Maverick” leaked in the PlayStation Store. The artwork for that game “implied starship battles between original trilogy Empire and Rebellion forces,” per Polygon.
Some more details:
- An unnamed source told VentureBeat that “Squadrons” will be a combat game that takes place in space and focus on head-to-head battle.
- The game will reportedly have a single-player campaign. But the focus will be multiplayer, according to VentureBeat.
- Per VentureBeat; “The idea is to get players fighting against each other in team battles featuring iconic Star Wars vessels.”
- Some consider the game to be a successor to “Rogue Squadron,” a popular game series popularized on Nintendo 64 and GameCube.