Fandango has announced a new reopening program that will help fans return to movie theaters safely and “with confidence,” the company said.
What’s going on:
The Fandango app and website will now include:
- Social distance seating maps.
- Safety policies from movie theaters.
- Search filter to find reopened theaters by locations.
- Instructional videos on how to stay safe.
- Information about auditorium occupancy and mask and protective equipment policies.
- Details on enhanced cleaning measures and special concessions procedures.
What they’re saying:
- “At Fandango, our mission has always been super-serving fans with their entertainment needs, and we cannot wait to help fans get back to the big screen safely and at the right time. It’s a complicated rollout, with various states, cities and counties opening their venues in different phases. We hope Fandango will serve as a helpful one-stop resource for fans to find all the information and services they need for a comfortable return to their local theaters.” — Fandango President Paul Yanover
- “We are working closely with our friends in exhibition to help get their ticketing back online and film fans back in seats with peace of mind. In addition to our new product features, Fandango’s mobile ticketing will be an added benefit, helping moviegoers and cinema employees reduce the number of contact points at the box office and throughout the theater.” — Melissa Heller, Fandango’s vice president of domestic ticketing
Movie theater controversy
- Last week, multiple movie theaters faced controversy after announcing they would reopen with policies that did not require masks to be worn.
- AMC originally said that the theaters would reopen without masks before deciding to change its plan.
- Cinemark changed its plans as well.
- Alamo Drafthouse announced it would require face coverings, too.