Taylor Swiftwoke up the world to a rather significant surprise — she’s dropping a new album Thursday night at midnight.
What’s going on?
- The album will be called “folklore.”
- It will be Swift’s eighth studio album.
- Swift described the album as “an entire brand new album of songs I’ve poured all of my whims, dreams, fears and musings into.”
What songs are on the album?
“Folklore” will have 16 songs on the standard edition. The track list reveals Swift will have one song with Bon Iver, titled “exile.”
The full list reads:
- “the 1”
- “The last great american dynasty”
- “my tears ricochet”
- “this is my trying”
- “illicit affairs”
- “invisible string”
- “mad woman”
- Physical deluxe copies will come with a bonus track, titled “the lakes.”
folklore will have 16 songs on the standard edition, but the physical deluxe editions will include a bonus track “the lakes.” Because this is my 8th studio album, I made 8 deluxe CDs & 8 deluxe vinyls available for 1 week😄 Each has unique covers & photos https://t.co/zSHpnhUlLb pic.twitter.com/tG34e0MpgJ— Taylor Swift (@taylorswift13) July 23, 2020
Swift said she will also release a new music video for the song “cardigan” tonight.
Why the surprise release?
- Swift explained her reasoning for releasing a surprise albumin a social media post:
- “Most of the things I had planned this summer didn’t end up happening, but there is something I hadn’t planned on that DID happen. And that thing is my eighth studio album, ‘folklore.’”
- She added: “Before this year, I probably would’ve overthought when to release this music at the ‘perfect’ time, but the times we’re living in keep reminding me that nothing is guaranteed. My gut is telling me that if you make something you love, you should just put it out into the world. That’s the side of uncertainty I can get on board with.”