“The Mandalorian” — the “Star Wars” series on Disney Plus — has been nominated for best drama series for the 72nd Emmy Awards.
- On Tuesday, the nominations for the awards were announced online because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Jimmy Kimmel will host the ceremony, which will air on 8 p.m. Eastern time/5 p.m. Pacific time on Sept. 20 on ABC.
‘The Mandalorian’ nomination
“The Mandalorian” has become the first Disney Plus series to be nominated for a major category at the Emmy Awards.
- The show will compete against other top dramas like “Better Call Saul,” “The Crown,” “The Handmaid’s Tale,” “Killing Eve,” “Ozark,” “Succession” and “Stranger Things.”
- The series received nominations for best cinematography, best production design, best guest actor (Giancarlo Esposito), and best original dramatic score.
- “The Mandalorian” went viral late last year after it revealed The Child, which people renamed Baby Yoda. The show is preparing to return for its second season later this year.
- It’s a big deal to see a Disney Plus series in the best drama category, considering the streaming service launched less than one year ago.
Ted Danson of “The Good Place” received a nomination for best actor.
- “The Good Place” is up for best comedy series.
- Sterling K. Brown of “This Is Us” got a nod for best actor in a drama series.
- “The Masked Singer” and “The Voice” will contend in the best competition series.