- Nintendo will likely release an upgraded Switch model in early 2021 due to supply chains, according to Taiwan’s Economic Daily News.
- The upgrade would include more computing power and more 4K graphics.
- There would also be an upgraded lineup of games, Bloomberg reports. The company hasn’t revealed any details about new games dropping this fall — they’d have to compete with the new PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X if they did — so this could be an indication they may release better hardware.
Has this happened before?
- The release would mark the first major upgrade for the Switch since it was released in March 2017, according to The Verge. The company released hardware upgrades in 2019 but those were more to improve battery performance.
Nintendo Switch sales
The Nintendo Switch is having another moment this year. There have been millions of Switch purchases this year — a lot of it driven by “Animal Crossing: New Horizons” earlier during the pandemic.
- More than 61 million Switch consoles had been sold through the end of July, The Verge reports.