Jimmy Woo (Randall Park) and Darcy Lewis (Kat Dennings) have become somewhat of a team in Marvel’s new project “WandaVision.” Both of them previously starred as background characters — in “Ant-Man” and “Thor,” respectively — and only recently returned to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
- So what happened to them before they made their return on “WandaVision” and the MCU? We may never know.
What’s going on?
“WandaVision” creator Jac Schaeffer recently told Entertainment Tonight that background stories for Woo and Lewis — specifically about what they had been up to since their respective film debuts — were scrapped from the show.
The only moment we get includes Lewis saying she’s earned her doctorate.
- “With Darcy Lewis, it was really important to us that we show that eight years is a long time, and she has accomplished a lot and is a different person,” Schaeffer told Entertainment Tonight. “So the fans enjoying her moment where she asserted herself as a doctor, it’s a teeny tiny moment, but it was important to me and to my partners on this.”
- “There were a lot of ideas that didn’t make it into the show, but I feel helped us in creating this newer version of her,” Schaeffer told Entertainment Tonight. “Because it had been eight years, we were like, ‘That’s time enough for a Ph.D.’ She was integral to everything that Dr. Jane Foster had done, so we liked the idea that she could still have that same sardonic, hilarious voice, but really have become more serious and have a reputation inside of the world of the MCU as being an expert.”
Other scrapped ideas
Schaeffer recently told me that there wasn’t anything she was upset about cutting from the show. But there were a few ideas that got tossed during production, which I wrote about for the Deseret News.
- “Yeah, I mean there were definitely things that I liked. There wasn’t anything that I was like, ‘I’m gonna walk off this project because you won’t do this’ — like nothing was ever like that intense. There are certainly things that I wish we had tried, but I do think all of those things that fall into that category are things that fell by the wayside in an effort to strengthen a cohesive story. The series itself is such an enormous swing. So, whatever weirder (things) that I wanted to do — I think we sort of nailed it with being an odd duck.”
- “There are some things I’ve done for Marvel that are coming out that are not ‘WandaVision.’ But I probably can’t say. We’ll just leave it at that.”