A new season of ‘The Voice’ is about to premiere. Here’s a sneak peek
A sneak peek of the new season of “The Voice” shows a 22-year-old artist named Victor Solomon performing “Glory,” a song co-written by John Legend. Watch it here
What’s going on
- The competition’s new season premieres Monday night, with coaches Kelly Clarkson, Blake Shelton and John Legend all returning to their red swivel chairs.
- Nick Jonas — who first appeared as a coach last year when he filled in for Gwen Stefani — reclaims his chair for the upcoming 20th season.
- The two-hour season premiere airs March 1 at 7 p.m. MT on NBC.
- The episode will be available to watch the following day on NBC.com.
What to expect
- The premiere episode will feature a number of singers competing in blind auditions, doing their best to get at least one “Voice” coach to turn around and recruit them.
- A sneak peek of the season premiere shows a 22-year-old artist named Victor Solomon performing “Glory,” a song co-written by Legend. The performance gets a chair turn from everybody but Clarkson, and marks the first time Legend has ever turned for a contestant singing one of his original songs.
- “I grew up in a church, I grew up singing gospel music, and when we wrote that song, it was meant to evoke the hymns that we grew up listening to, and the songs that carried a lot of our ancestors through a lot of tough times when they were marching for voting rights and all these other things,” Legend told Solomon after his audition.
- “I’ve literally zero times turned for someone singing my song,” Legend continued. “It’s just I scrutinize it more heavily than I normally would. But, I was like, ‘I don’t need to do that.’ I was like, ‘He’s doing some things I haven’t done that are better than what I would do with this song.’”
- Solomon told the “Voice” coaches that he grew up singing Legend’s songs, leading Legend to perform his song “Ordinary People” with Solomon on the spot.
- So who does Solomon end up picking as his coach? Although Legend seems like the obvious choice for the singer, the “Voice” sneak peak ends with Solomon saying, “I think I’m going to shake things up just a little.”
- Solomon’s choice will be revealed Monday night. Over the new season, “The Voice” will also feature artists Brandy, Dan and Shay, Luis Fonsi and Darren Criss as celebrity mentors, the Deseret News reported.
- The new season comes after good ratings for Season 19, which averaged 7.4 million viewers, according to TV Line.
- The 20th season also marks the 10th anniversary of “The Voice,” which premiered in April 2011.
- “I think ‘The Voice’ has evolved in small ways over the last 10 years, but at the end of the day, it still is what it started out to be, which is a show that is about talent first,” Shelton says in a promotional video for the new season.
- The most recent winner of “The Voice” is 15-year-old Carter Rubin, who in December became the youngest male champion in the show’s history, according to the Deseret News.
- “To everyone in season 20: make the most of every moment and have SO much fun!” Rubin recently wrote on Twitter. “I’ll be cheering you on.”