Disney Parks has released the new Genie and Genie+ to help you skip lines. Here’s what you need to know
Disney Parks revealed a new take on the FastPass concept
Disney Parks announced a new service Wednesday that will replace the old FastPass plan with a new innovative service to help you skip the lines.
What is the new Disney Genie?
Disney’s new Disney Genie service will help you plan out how to see multiple locations and ride multiple rides at Disney parks. The Disney Genie does all the planning for your visit to a Disney park.
- However, to skip the lines, you will need to use the new Lightning Lane feature, which will only be available through Genie+. (Yes, Genie+. I’m not kidding).
- The Genie+ service will cost $15 at Walt Disney World and $20 at Disneyland.
- You can use the Lightning Lane feature for more than 15 attractions at Disneyland and more than 40 attractions at Walt Disney World.
More features of Disney Genie
The Disney Genie features can update your itinerary throughout the day. So sometimes you can be spontaneous or follow Genie’s plan.
- You can create your own personal tip board so you can see your favorite rides and review wait times for those rides.
- Disney Genie allows you to join a virtual queue for certain attractions, too.
More features of Genie+
For Genie+, you will need to pay the aforementioned fees depending on which park you visit. Once you do, you can “choose the next available time to arrive at a variety of attractions and experiences using the Lightning Lane entrance,” according to Disney Parks.
- You can only make one selection at a time.
And, per Disney Parks, the Genie+ services give you some audio experiences, photo features and even augmented reality lenses that will help you see your parks in a new way. Oh, and you get unlimited Disney Photopass downloads.
Is the Disney Genie plan good?
Per BuzzFeed News, critics have called the plan a “money grab” from Disney, saying it’s a way for the park to make back the money lost during the pandemic year.
Josh D’Amaro, Disney Parks chair, told CNN Business that this will provide better experience for the park.
- “We’ve had 60 years of experience in theme parks,” he said. “So we know exactly how people are behaving, how the attractions are behaving. We know exactly how to optimize a day. So with technology advancing, we’re able to take all that information and all of that data that our industrial engineers have and serve it up in a very convenient way to our guests.”