WWE 2K has announced a new WWE 2K22 cover star and released details that show the game may be becoming more like the NBA 2K franchise.
The big news: WWE 2K22 announced that Rey Mysterio will be the cover athlete for the new game, which is due out in March.
WWE 2K22 will also have multiple releases, too:
- Standard edition — The original version of the game.
- Cross-gen bundle — This includes the standard edition and the Starrcade ’96 Rey Mysterio Pack.
- Deluxe edition — This includes the standard edition with the Undertaker Immortal Pack, a Season Pass to all five post-launch DLC content packs, the MyRISE Mega-Boost and SuperCharger packs, and a limited-edition WWE SuperCard mobile game content
- The nWo 4-Life Edition will have the standard edition, the deluxe edition content, and new MyFaction EVO Cards. It also comes with alternate nWo attires for Hollywood Hogan, Scott Hall, Kevin Nash, and Syxx plus a playable Eric Bischoff character, WCW Souled Out 1997 and WCW Bash at the Beach 1996 arenas, and the nWo Wolfpac Championship.
New MyFaction details: WWE 2K22 released new details about the WWE 2K22 MyFaction mode, a mysterious new feature to the game.
- “With the franchise-first MyFaction mode, players can collect and manage their dream faction with weekly events and regular updates, providing tremendous challenges and replay value,” 2K said.
- Those who preorder the standard editions and cross-gen bundles get the Undertaker Immortal Pack, which ill include MyFaction EVO cards for Undertaker, plus MyFaction Perks and Bonuses, including an Undertaker MyFaction Logo Card, Undertaker MyFaction Wallpaper Card, and Undertaker MyFaction Nameplate Card.
Why it matters: WWE 2K22 is showing that it will have multiple packs, which are common seen in the NBA 2K MyTeam mode, or the FIFA Ultimate Team or Madden Ultimate Team modes.
- Packs often contain digital cards of athletes that players can collect and then use in-game.
- WWE 2K22 seems to be taking the first step toward adding those types of packs with this new MyFaction mode.
Flashback: In November, I reported for the Deseret News that the WWE 2K22 video game was planning to debut a new mode called MyFaction, which appeared to be the franchise’s version of the NBA 2K MyTeam mode, or something akin to FIFA Ultimate Team or Madden Ultimate Team modes.
- Original description: “In a franchise-first, the all-new MyFaction puts players in control of building a legendary faction that rivals the iconic nWo. Players will collect, manage, and upgrade Superstars, with weekly events and regular updates,” 2K said in a press release about the mode.