“Survivor 50″ promised a season of many firsts as producers put the game into the “hands of the fans,” as Deseret News previously reported.

However, the revamped format led to a live show mishap.

Related
‘Survivor’ to begin 50th season tonight with its biggest cast ever

During the live season finale, longtime host Jeff Probst made an on-air blunder that confused the Los Angeles audience and viewers at home.

The finale seamlessly cut between prerecorded footage taped in Fiji last year and the live studio stage. The episode began with five contestants, but by the second hour, the field had narrowed to four: Aubry Bracco, Jonathan Young, Joe Hunter and Rizo Velovic. After Bracco won immunity to secure her spot in the final three, she chose Hunter to join her, leaving Velovic and Young to battle for the final spot in a fire-making challenge.

Jeff Probst, center, and the cast attend the premiere of "Survivor" Season 50 on Tuesday, Feb. 24, 2026, in New York. | Charles Sykes, Associated Press

Right before the taped Fiji footage aired, the broadcast cut back to the live studio, where Probst mistakenly told him to take his seat with the jury — revealing that Velovic had lost the challenge before viewers ever saw it play out.

Social media reacted quickly: “My jaw is on the ground. Jeff Probst with the biggest blunder in reality TV hosting history. I cannot believe what just happened,” one X user wrote.

It took a minute for the host to realize his error. “What just happened?” Probst asked. Other eliminated contestants on stage informed him the challenge footage hadn’t aired yet.

“I’m not even sure what’s happened,” Probst admitted before the show cut to commercial.

While viewers criticized the host’s slip-up, other defended him, shifting blame to the production team for a cueing error.

When the show returned from commercial break, Probst attempted to smooth over the mistake with a few jokes.

“Alright, so, I love doing live television,” Probst said, according to People. “In case you’re confused, this is what happened. We were going to show you the fire-making, and then have the loser of the fire-making, Rizo, come out and talk about if he had practiced fire-making maybe he would’ve won. Instead, we did a ‘Survivor’ twist, it’s the last twist of the season. We call it, ‘A peek into the future.’”

As the challenge segment was set to air, Probst joked to the audience to prepare to “watch Rizo lose!”

View Comments

Some viewers found the finale mistake amusing. “I thought it was hilarious! I was like, ‘Did he really just do that?’” one person posted on X.

Others were less forgiving, calling for the showrunner to “step down.”

Backlash over ‘Survivor 50’

The finale blunder caps off a season that has already drawn heavy criticism online. Many fans have expressed frustration with the show’s experimental formatting choices, particularly the decision to host the finale in a Los Angeles studio instead of crowning the winner directly on the island, as is series tradition.

Some users were simply just not fans of how the season itself played out, wishing for a different winner.

Join the Conversation
Looking for comments?
Find comments in their new home! Click the buttons at the top or within the article to view them — or use the button below for quick access.