The bodies of six women who were part of a close-knit group of experienced backcountry skiers caught in an avalanche earlier this week near Lake Tahoe have been identified, though they have not yet been recovered, officials said Friday.

The avalanche struck a group of 15 people on a backcountry skiing trip to the Frog Lake Backcountry Huts, led by Blackbird Mountain Guides.

Eight of the nine bodies have been located, and the search for the remaining victim is ongoing, contingent on weather conditions.

In total, nine people died: six women from the friend group and three of the four guides.

They are Carrie Atkin, Liz Clabaugh, Danielle Keatley, Kate Morse, Caroline Sekar and Kate Vitt.

Authorities have not released the names of the deceased guides.

Several of the women had attended college together at Stanford. Clabaugh and Sekar were sisters.

Six people survived the avalanche: one guide, two other women from the friend group, and three male clients who were not part of the friend group.

Here’s what we know:

Snow covers the roof of the Nevada County Sheriff's office on Friday, Feb. 20, 2026, in Truckee, Calif. | Godofredo A. Vásquez, Associated Press

Connections to Sugar Bowl Academy

Several of the women were also connected to Sugar Bowl Academy, a ski-focused boarding and day school for ages 5–20 near Donner Summit, just miles from the avalanche site.

The academy put out a statement Wednesday. Executive Director Stephen McMahon said, “This tragedy has affected each and every one of us. The best thing we can do is surround our athletes and families with care and support while providing the necessary space and time for grief and healing.”

Related
Avalanche in Northern California: 6 rescued, 8 dead, 1 still missing

Families speak out about those lost

A statement was released by the victims’ families, noting that all eight were mothers and close friends who had planned the trip well in advance. They were all experienced backcountry skiers who were well trained and prepared. They were fully equipped with avalanche safety equipment.

Several pieces from the statement include:

  • “Our focus right now is supporting our children through this incredible tragedy and honoring the lives of these extraordinary women.”
  • “We have many unanswered questions.”
  • “We are profoundly grateful for the extensive rescue efforts by Nevada County Search and Rescue, Tahoe Nordic Search and Rescue and all of the authorities involved.”

One of the victims was married to a member of the Tahoe Nordic Search and Rescue team, Placer County Sheriff Wayne Woo said.

“This incident has specifically struck our organization and that search and rescue team hard, but it has motivated the team,” Woo added during Wednesday’s press briefing.

Related
Rescuers race to save 6 skiers found alive after avalanche

Statement from Blackbird Mountain Guides

In a statement released Wednesday evening, Zeb Blais, founder of Blackbird Mountain Guides, described the avalanche as “an enormous tragedy, and the saddest event our team has ever experienced.”

He confirmed the group included four guides and 11 participants, with five participants and one guide surviving.

Blais emphasized that all guides were trained or certified in backcountry skiing, with additional certification through the American Institute for Avalanche Research and Education.

“There is still a lot that we’re learning about what happened. It’s too soon to draw conclusions, but investigations are underway,” he said.

He noted the company has suspended field operations at least through Feb. 22 and requested the public refrain from speculation.

Blais also expressed gratitude to the numerous agencies that assisted in the rescue, including the Nevada County Sheriff’s Office, Tahoe Nordic Search and Rescue, and the California Office of Emergency Services.

Related
Heavy snow causes delays at airport, snow squall warnings and canyon restrictions

The beauty — and risks — of the backcountry

The area where the avalanche occurred is known for its beauty, skiing and danger. Even Nevada County Sheriff Shannan Moon admitted she enjoys spending time in the backcountry.

“The backcountry is beautiful. There’s not a lot of people out there. That’s where a lot of people like to recreate. I myself like to recreate in that area,” she said.

The Donner Land Trust, which owns the Frog Lake area, notes on its website that visitors should be experienced in evaluating avalanche conditions, snow stability, hazards, and in practicing prudent safety and navigation techniques.

“But it doesn’t seem to matter how prepared you are, how experienced you are,” Moon added. Ahead of the storm, the Sierra Avalanche Center issued an avalanche watch for the area at 7:45 a.m. on the day the group set out. “Traveling in, near, or below backcountry avalanche terrain during HIGH avalanche danger is not recommended,” the watch said.

Unanswered questions about the trip

At Wednesday’s press briefing, a media member asked, “Is the main question whether they should have gone on the three-day trip in the first place, or is the main question should they have stayed in the Frog Lake cabin on that third night to avoid those bad conditions?”

Moon responded, “I don’t think either of them could be considered main. They’re both great questions.”

View Comments

“Those are all questions that we’re asking, not just so that we know but that these families know,” she continued.

Why the group chose to go out in those conditions remains unclear. Moon said that decision was made by the guide company, Blackbird Mountain Guides, which she and her department continue to coordinate with.

Moon said her core motivation is “wanting to be able to provide answers to the families that were affected.”

She added that the company “has been very cooperative” and “wanted to do everything they could to assist” in the search and rescue efforts on Tuesday.

Join the Conversation
Looking for comments?
Find comments in their new home! Click the buttons at the top or within the article to view them — or use the button below for quick access.