The site locations of four Latter-day Saint temples coming to Latin America were announced by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Thursday in a news release.
The four Latin America temples include:
- Belo Horizonte, Brazil
- Cali, Colombia
- Guatemala City, Guatemala
- Torreón, Mexico
President Russell M. Nelson announced a temple for the greater Guatemala City area in October 2020. The other three temples were announced less that six months ago at the April 2021 general conference.
Detailed design plans for the four temples are still being developed, with additional information and exterior renderings to be released in the future. Groundbreaking dates have not been scheduled.
Here is the site information for the four Latin America temples:
Belo Horizonte Brazil Temple
- The Belo Horizonte temple will be constructed on an 11.8-acre site on Rua Professor Jose Vieira de Mendonça in Belo Horizonte.
- Plans show a single-story temple of approximately 27,000 square feet.
- The Belo Horizonte temple will be the 13th announced for Brazil.
- These seven temples have been dedicated: Campinas, Curitiba, Fortaleza, Manaus, Porto Alegre, Recife and São Paulo.
- An eight temple in Rio de Janeiro has been completed but the dedication has been postponed until large public gatherings are deemed safe.
- Two temples are under construction in Bélem and Brasília
- Two temples have also been announced for Salvador and East São Paulo.
- There are more than 1.4 million Latter-day Saints in Brazil attending over 2,100 congregations, according to the church’s newsroom.
The Cali Colombia Temple
- The Cali temple will be on a 3.14-acre site on La Flora in Cali, Colombia.
- Plans show a single-story temple of about 9,500 square feet.
- The Cali Colombia Temple will join temples in Barranquilla and Bogotá as the country’s third House of the Lord.
- The Cali temple will serve more than 15,000 Latter-day Saints.
- There are close to 210,000 church members in Colombia attending nearly 250 congregations, according to the church’s newsroom.
The Greater Guatemala City Guatemala Temple
- The Greater Guatemala City Guatemala Temple will be built on a 1.5-acre site located at the intersection of 13 Calle and 5-56 in Guatemala City, Guatemala.
- Plans show a two-story temple of approximately 30,000 square feet.
- The new temple will be the country’s third temple, joining the Guatemala City and Quetzaltenango temples.
- The Greater Guatemala City temple will serve more than 56,000 Latter-day Saints.
- There are more than 281,000 church members attending over 400 congregations, according to the church’s newsroom.
The Torreón Mexico Temple
- The Torreón temple will be built on a 0.89-acre site at the corner of Paris and Amsterdam streets in the City of Gomez Palacio, Mexico.
- Plans call for a single-story temple of approximately 10,000 square feet.
- The Torreón temple will be Mexico’s 16th temple.
- These 13 temples have been dedicated: Ciudad Juárez, Colonia Juárez Chihuahua, Guadalajara, Hermosillo Sonora, Mérida, Mexico City, Monterrey, Oaxaca, Tampico, Tijuana, Tuxtla Gutiérrez, Veracruz and Villahermosa.
- A temple is under construction in Puebla.
- A temple has also been announced for Querétaro.
- The Torreón Mexico Temple will serve more than 32,000 Latter-day Saints.
- Mexico is home to nearly 1.5 million church members that attend more than 1,800 congregations, according to the church’s newsroom.