With an important presidential election right before us, I want to offer a “litmus test” that may help in selecting the best leader to serve “we the people.” Let us choose an individual:
- Who has a clear and compelling moral compass.
- Who will speak the truth.
- Who will respect and help protect the rights of all Americans.
- Who will abide by and respect the Constitution and rule of law.
- Who will raise the profile of respect for the United States in the eyes of the world and defend our nation against aggressive actions.
- Who will best coalesce our country’s leaders, leading to action instead of endless embattlement.
This election, like all elections, should be primarily based on principles and on leadership character — on substance, not show. And I believe that the selection should rise above any single topic or policy and should apply the broader perspective of the “litmus test” proposed.