British police on Thursday arrested Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, over suspicions of misconduct while in public office after being accused of sharing confidential information with sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

Andrew has consistently denied wrongdoing connected to his friendship with Epstein, but concerns about the relationship have continued to mount.

Mountbatten-Windsor was moved to his brother King Charles III’s estate in Norfolk after he was evicted from his home near Windsor Castle earlier this month.

With the Trump administration’s release of the Epstein files, additional information about Mountbatten-Windsor’s ties to the late financier have been revealed, even as his connections to Epstein have long impacted the royal family.

In 2019, the late Queen Elizabeth forced him to give up his royal duties after he gave an interview to the BBC where he tried to explain his ties to Epstein.

This year Charles stripped Andrew of his right to be called a prince and ordered him to move, and last week Buckingham Palace shared that it was ready to cooperate with a police inquiry into Mountbatten-Windsor’s ties to Epstein, The Associated Press reported.

After the arrest, Charles issued a rare statement about his brother’s arrest and link to Epstein.

“I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office. What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities,” the statement said. “In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation.”

“Let me state clearly: the law must take its course,” he continued. “As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all.”

Related
King Charles speaks about police investigation into Andrew amid Epstein allegations

Police said it was investigating reports that Mountbatten-Windsor sent confidential trade reports to Epstein in 2010, when he was Britain’s special envoy for international trade. The reports were part of the millions of documents released by the U.S. Department of Justice’s investigation into Epstein’s sex trafficking activity.

While law enforcement did not confirm that the arrest was of Mountbatten-Windsor, video footage from the BBC showed many unmarked police vehicles seen arriving at the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, where he has been living.

91
Comments

Thames Valley police confirmed that an investigation has been opened over misconduct in public office and said a man in his sixties had been arrested. Mountbatten-Windsor turned 66 on Thursday.

Law enforcement said the man they arrested remains in police custody, but as per national guidance, they would not be releasing the name of the individual.

“Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office,” Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said. “It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence.”

“We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.”

Related
Clinton, Gates, Trump named in latest Epstein file release
William and Catherine say they are ‘deeply concerned’ about Epstein revelations
Join the Conversation
Looking for comments?
Find comments in their new home! Click the buttons at the top or within the article to view them — or use the button below for quick access.