clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

High school girls basketball: Panguitch nips Whitehorse in tense 1A quarterfinal game

RICHFIELD — It was a battle all the way to the end as Panguitch slipped past Whitehorse 54-52 in a quarterfinal thriller Thursday morning in Richfield.

The win advances Panguitch to Friday’s 1A girls semifinal round.

With less than six seconds to go, Panguitch’s Kiesa Miller snagged an offensive rebound and put it back up, scoring the winning basket. The Bobcats were then able to stave off Whitehorse’s next attempt at a basket to secure the win.

“I just sprinted my butt off,” Miller said, adding she knew she had to be in position in case the opportunity to pull down the offensive board presented itself.

“It was very intense,” said coach Nadine Owens. “We knew this would be a tough game. We’ve prepared all season for these types of games with a tough region.”

The game started out with the teams trading the edge back and forth until Whitehorse’s Ashonte Dickson converted a bonus shot for a 3-point play to give the Raiders a 12-10 lead at the end of the first period.

Bahazhoni Filfred scored the next bucket for Whitehorse, followed by another from Dickson, putting the Raiders up by six.

Whitehorse would maintain the lead through the first half, which ended 31-27.

Panguitch’s Mataya Barney opened the second half of the game with a six-point jaunt that gave the Bobcats the lead. Abbee Holman scored two more buckets for Panguitch, punctuated by one from Whitehorse’s Filfred.

Filfred would then go on a run of her own, scoring the next two field goals, recapturing the lead. Rueshudda Jim fired off another bucket for Panguitch, followed by points from teammates McKeeda Sam and Daan Filfred.

Heading into the final stanza, Whitehorse was ahead 43-39.

Panguitch scored the next eight points, with two shots from Holman and a basket each from Orton and Miller.

Whitehorse would tie the game up again with 2:45 to go before Orton reclaimed the advantage in with an inside jumper. Whitehorse’s Daan Filfred answered it by draining a shot from downtown to take the lead back again.

Miller hit two from the foul line to retake the lead, but Bahazhoni then drained a shot from the foul line, setting up a 52-all knot with 1:03 left in the game. The resulting scramble led to Miller’s game-winning shot.

“Every girl who stepped on the court stepped up huge for us,” Owens said.

The 1A tournament continues through Saturday at the Sevier Valley Center in Richfield.