SALT LAKE CITY — Exuberant Utah Jazz fans and exasperated Denver Nuggets fans weren’t the only ones who noticed Donovan Mitchell’s latest 50-plus-point outburst on Sunday night.
Though Dallas rookie Luka Doncic got most of the spotlight that day after his game-winning 3-pointer in the Mavericks’ victory over the Los Angeles Clippers, Mitchell’s 51-point performance in the Game 4 win over Denver was also a hot topic.
(3) Denver Nuggets
vs. (6) Utah Jazz
Nuggets 135, Jazz 125 (OT)
Jazz 124, Nuggets 105
Jazz 124, Nuggets 87
Jazz 129, Nuggets 127
Nuggets 117, Jazz 107
Nuggets 119, Jazz 107
Nuggets 80, Jazz 78, Nuggets win series 4-3
Here are some examples of what was said on Twitter about Spida, who’s averaging 39.5 points (50% in 50-point games), 5.8 assists, 4.5 rebounds, 56.3% shooting, 51.4% 3-point shooting and 95.5% free-throw shooting while leading Utah to a 3-1 lead:
• “@spidadmitchell is becoming a superstar.” — Dwyane Wade, leading some Miami fans to urge the former Heat star to work on getting Mitchell to South Beach.
• “Donovan Mitchell and Jamal Murray are the big-game late-game clutch shooters that everyone thinks Damian Lillard is. THEY are special.” — Skip Bayless, giving a compliment to the young guys while taking a shot at the former Weber State standout.
• “If Donovan Mitchell, who was taken 10 picks after Jayson Tatum, had these playoff performances (38 points in a closeout game as a rookie, 57 & 51 already this postseason) in Boston, Celtic fans would already be building the statue & demand you include him in all Top 5 lists.” — Fox Sports 1 host Nick Wright
• “Before the Bubble I said that this is a Audition for Donovan Mitchell to prove to the Organization that he’s a BATMAN and could he average 30 plus in a series...He’s averaging 39 points in 4 games with two 50 plus wing dinners!!! @utahjazz I think he’s that guy.” — former NBA big man (and temporary Utah Jazz player) Kendrick Perkins, perhaps forgetting that Mitchell is known for being a different superhero.
• “This dude @spidadmitchell = SPECIAL. Love this brother. Putting on a show tonight vs @nuggets (no more state downs, Millsap! You see where that gotcha). Bad news? The brother could’ve been a @nyknicks. This is the sadness that takes over my basketball life.” — ESPN commentator Stephen A. Smith, a Knicks fan who remembers that New York drafted Frank Ntilikina five spots ahead of Mitchell in the 2017 NBA Draft.
• Last but not least ...
My 9 year old just said “the thing I like most about Donovan Mitchell is he always talks about his teammates instead of himself” He then said “I wish so bad I could meet him and get a pair of his shoes” kid has priorities straight 😁@spidadmitchell pic.twitter.com/BRoBslifQV— Eric Larsen (@elars777) August 24, 2020