Note: South Sevier finished with a 2-9 overall record in 2019 and was fourth in Region 12 with a 2-3 record. It was RPI seed No. 15 in the 3A playoffs and was eliminated by Juab 54-6 in first round.
MONROE, Sevier County — It was a rough first season at South Sevier for first-year coach John Ramage last year. His offense ranked 16th out of 18, averaging just 13.5 ppg, while his defense ranked 17th allowed 37.9 ppg.
Head coach: John Ramage
Entering his second season as head coach at South Sevier after a 2-9 debut season. He’s a graduate of Orem High School and BYU.
Realistically, it fit with the trend of the program over the past decade. Since 2009, South Sevier has had just one winning season, and that was a 6-5 season in 2014.
Ramage is hopeful that 2020 will be different as he returns five offensive starters and four defensive starters.
“So far it’s been going well. We’ve had a good summer, better than we’ve had as far as participation with kids in the weight room. It’s been better, still a long ways to go but much better than it has been in the past,” said Ramage.
Offensively, Nate McLean and Peyton Bagley return to anchor the offensive line, while Noah Ramsey is back at quarterback after starting the second half of last season.
Ramage said Ramsey has a good arm and is also an agile runner who will keep defenses honest.
Anchoring the defense will be linebacker Jaxin Torgerson, who will be counted on for a big season.
South Sevier Rams at a glance
Ramage’s thoughts on how his players dealt the COVID-19 adversity in the spring and summer:
“I think they’ve handle it pretty good. They were very anxious to get back, a lot of kids pestering me to get back in the weight room and get some things going, and that was a good one. Once we got things opened up again we’ve had pretty good participation, good attitudes. ”
Aug. 14 — at North Sevier, 7 p.m.
Aug. 21 — at Enterprise, 7 p.m.
Aug. 28 — NORTH SANPETE, 7 p.m.
Sept. 4 — JUAB, 7 p.m.
Sept. 11 — DELTA, 7 p.m.
Sept. 18 — at San Juan, 7 p.m.
Sept. 25 — RICHFIELD, 7 p.m.
Oct. 2 — at Emery, 7 p.m.
Oct. 9 — GRAND, 7 p.m.
Oct. 14 — at Carbon, 7 p.m.
South Sevier offensive snapshot
Offensive coordinator: John Ramage
2019 offense: 13.5 ppg (16th in 3A)
2019 offensive statistics
- Five returning starters
- Pro-style offense
Returning offensive starters
- Noah Ramsey (QB)
- Jaxin Torgerson (RB)
- Karson Hunt (TE)
- Nate McLean (OL)
- Peyton Bagley (OL)
Offensive newcomers to watch
- Kannen Nielsen (OL)
- Bodie Payne (WR)
- Parker Brian (WR)
- Kyler Rollins (FB)
Ramage’s keys for offensive success in 2020:
“Consistency. We’ve got to become a lot more consistent in everything, preparation, techniques. Consistent from play to play.”
South Sevier defensive snapshot
Defensive coordinator: Bryce Twitchell
2019 defense: 37.9 ppg (17th in 3A)
2019 defensive statistics
- Four returning starters
- 4-3 defense
Returning defensive starters
- Peyton Bagley (DL)
- Jaxin Torgerson (LB)
- Bodie Payne (DB)
- Noah Ramsey (DB)
Defensive newcomers to watch
- Tallin Hendrickson (DL)
Ramage’s keys for offensive success in 2020:
“We’ve got to be a much better tackling team. I think that was our biggest weakness last year, and I think we will. Our line is going to be our strength there. It should be.”
Coaches preseason Region 12 straw poll
- San Juan
- South Sevier
Deseret News outlook for 2020
Among South Sevier’s nine losses last year, it had games where it allowed staggering point totals of 52, 49, 70, 49 and 54. It’s impossible to win those type of games allowing seven-plus TDs per game. It won’t matter how much better the offense is if the defense doesn’t get stops more regularly. That will ultimately determine if it’s under status quo sub-.500 season or if the Rams are competing near the top of Region 12.
Felt’s Facts for South Sevier High School
- All-time record: 214-341-1 (65 years)
- Region championships: 7 (1925, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 2000, 2009 co)
- Playoff appearances: 34
- All-time playoff record: 13-33-1
- State championships: 1 (1925) *Payson and South Sevier tied in the semifinals in 1925, but no state championship was held. Both were awarded state titles.
- State championship record: 0-0
- Most played rivalry: 60 meetings with Richfield dating back to 1920. Richfield leads 42-18.
Last five seasons
- 2019 — 2-9 (2-3 in Region 12 — 2A first round)
- 2018 — 5-6 (1-4 in 2A South — 2A quarterfinals)
- 2017 — 3-7 (1-4 in 2A South — 2A first round)
- 2016 — 4-7 (2-3 in 2A South — 2A quarterfinals)
- 2015 — 1-9 (1-4 in 2A South — 2A first round)
South Sevier coaching history
- 2019-current — John Ramage (2-9)
- 2010-2018 — Weston Zabriskie (31-64)
- 2003-2009 — Travis McAllister (34-35)
- 1998-2002 — Clint Christiansen (26-26)
- 1993-1997 — Brent Hafen (7-38)
- 1992 — Ron Winegar (1-8)
- 1991 — Rick Orr (1-7)
- 1984-1990 — Alfred Frehner (13-48)
- 1981-1983 — Garry Walker (6-20)
- 1980 — David Hare (6-5)
- 1971-1979 — Richard Orr (55-39)
- 1970 — Mike Jones (2-9)
Deseret News All-State Archives
Check out our archives of Deseret News all-state teams from 1929 to 2019 at Deseret.com.
South Sevier All-State at-a-glance
Deseret News First Team All-Staters the past 10 years
- 2018 — Tyson Chisholm, RB
- 2018 — Yates Taylor, DB
- 2018 — Brad Taylor, K
- 2017 — Tyson Chisholm, LB
- 2016 — Tyson Chisholm, RB/LB
- 2016 — Braxton Vakautakakala, OL/DL
- 2014 — Trevor Jones, QB/DB
- 2014 — Avery Healey, RB/LB
- 2014 — Brock Bastian, TE/LB
- 2013 — Wyatt Anderson, OL/DL
- 2012 — Wyatt Anderson, OL/DL
- 2011 — Patrick Baker, RB/DB
- 2010 — Logan Baker, TE/LB
- 2010 — Clayton Higginson, OL/LB