clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Peng Shuai ‘reconfirms’ she is safe and well despite widespread concern

Peng Shuai had another call with the International Olympic Committee about her safety

China’s Peng Shuai at the Australian Open tennis championship.
China’s Peng Shuai serves to Japan’s Nao Hibino during their first round singles match at the Australian Open tennis championship in Melbourne, Australia, on Jan. 21, 2020. Tennis officials have been worried about Peng’s safety.
Andy Brownbill, Associated Press

The International Olympic Committee had a second call with Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai Wednesday, with the star reconfirming that she is safe, CNN reports.

  • Peng said she is safe despite the “difficult situation” she is in right now, according to CNN.

What happened to Peng Shuai?

In November social media post, Peng accused a former top official of the Community Party — Vice Premier Zhang Gaoli — of sexual assault in his home three years ago, which has since been deleted, per the Deseret News.

  • Since then, Peng disappeared from public view for more than two weeks. Officials have been trying to speak with her to make sure she’s safe.

Is Peng Shuai safe?

Peng and the president of the International Olympic Committee had a phone call in November where she assured them of her safety, per NBC News.

  • “She explained that she is safe and well, living at her home in Beijing, but would like to have her privacy respected at this time,” the IOC said. “That is why she prefers to spend her time with friends and family right now.”

The IOC had a second call with Peng this week. The IOC told her that it offered “wide-ranging support,” and hoped to stay in touch with her, according to CNN.

  • In fact, the group “already agreed on a personal meeting in January,” the IOC said.

Any other responses?

The Women’s Tennis Association said it would suspend all tennis tournaments in China, including Hong Kong, over the situation with Peng.