What is the path to 270? That’s a complicated question. Finding a way for President Donald Trump and Democratic nominee Joe Biden to reach 270 electoral college votes isn’t an easy game. In fact, it can happen in so many different ways.
Thankfully, multiple outlets have created interactive maps that allow you to predict how Trump and Biden can reach their 270 electoral college votes.
270toWin.com is one of the more popular maps. The map allows you to click states to create your own forecast for the election. You can create specific matchups by clicking on specific parties, or by using the electoral vote counter. These maps are constantly posted on social media in the lead-up to elections.
- Battlegrounds: Arizona, Iowa, Ohio, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Maine 1st Congressional District
CNN has a build-your-own map as well. The map begins with all of the likely Democratic and Republican states dished out to their respective candidates. Then, it’s up to you to select who wins the battleground states.
- Battlegrounds: Nevada, Arizona, Colorado, Texas, Georgia, Florida, North Carolina, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, Maine 1st Congressional District.
ABC News has three different maps to work with. You can either fill out an entirely blank map, giving candidates whatever state you want. There’s also a “people’s pick” map, which is based off of user picks from July 23, 2020, to Nov. 2, 2020. Lastly, there’s a map based off of FiveThirtyEight’s forecast, which is based off of polling numbers. Each map allows you flip certain states for other candidates.
- Battlegrounds: None are listed.
FiveThirtyEight has a pair of maps to work with. One of them allows you to choose who wins the key states in the race. You basically pick whether Biden or Trump will win those states. The other map gives you a chance to pick winners in all states. The original map is based off of polling data and which states are leaning toward a specific candidate.
- Battlegrounds: Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska 2nd Congressional District, New Hampshire, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, Wisconsin
The Guardian has a pick’em list, where you basically pick the winner of the battleground states and that shifts the electoral college count. The pick’em list shared details about each state and the current polling for each candidate.
- Battlegrounds: Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, Arizona, Georgia, Texas, Florida, Iowa, North Carolina, Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Maine 1st Congressional District, Nebraska 2nd Congressional District