- The company will partner with direct-to-consumer home testing company LetsGetChecked for the program.
- The test will cost $129 on top of the normal cost of travel.
What do the tests do?
- The at-home tests will help passengers identify whether they have COVID-19 ahead of travel, which could limit how much the virus spreads on an airplane.
- The program also gives Americans access to COVID-19 tests. In some parts of the United States, it’s hard to snag a test right away. This would give an easy option for many travelers.
How the tests work
The LetsGetChecked’s test kit uses the nasal swab test, according to The Verge. Travelers will need to take a sample and send it through the mail. It will be sent through a Polymerase Chain Reaction, or PCR, test. Results will return in a few days.
- The company suggests ordering the test at least five days before your flight.
Only certain states
American Airlines said the tests will only be available in certain states where there are travel restrictions. The full list includes:
- District of Columbia
- New Hampshire
- New York
- Puerto Rico
- Rhode Island
Visit aa.com/covid19testing if you’re interested in more information on the at-home test kits.
Other airlines and COVID-19 tests
Both Delta Air Lines and KLM Royal Dutch Airlines will partner for a new program that includes COVID-19 tests, according to Fox News. Passengers will undergo three COVID-19 tests. Anyone who tests positive won’t be allowed onto flights.