- One man was injured during the chaos.
What’s the news:
- The Florida Highway Patrol reported that a large sinkhole opened up in Marion County. The event occurred as Tropical Storm Cristobal sent harsh weather across Florida.
- A concrete utility pole toppled over after the sinkhole opened.
- Traffic signals and cables crashed into the intersection.
- A driver struck cables along the highway, causing his vehicle to flip over. The vehicle crashed into an intersection on its wheels, FOX35reports.
What happened next:
- Marion County Sheriff’s Sgt. Paul Bloom told WFME that authorities cleared up the area to keep the space free and safe.
- Bloom said: “I just tell the public whenever we have a lot of rain like this, just be aware, use caution. That’s another reason not to drive really fast in the rain — not that this person was driving fast. But to just drive with caution, because you never know what is up ahead of you in a rain like this, certainly in Florida.”