What’s going on:
- Idaho — which has about 1.8 million people — has seen the virus contact the state as it continues to move through the South and the West.
- Idaho had less than 50 cases per day before June 15.
- On Sunday, July 19, the state reported 550 cases. The state saw more than 700 cases last Thursday, too.
- Per AFP, Idaho’s infection rate ranks eighth throughout the entire country based on its population for the last week. This means Idaho’s infection rate lingers near Florida, Louisiana and Texas, per The New York Times.
- Idaho Gov. Brad Little has held off on fully reopening the economy in recent weeks.
- Boise, Idaho, Mayor Lauren McLean issued an order mandating people to wear face coverings, according to the Idaho Statesman.
- But local communities have pushed back against mask mandates. For example, the Rexburg City Council voted against mandatory masks last week. The council passed a resolution encouraging mask use, EastIdahoNews.com reports.