Facebook Twitter

Eiffel Tower was evacuated. Here’s what happened

The monument has since been reopened

SHARE Eiffel Tower was evacuated. Here’s what happened
A woman walks past police officers securing the bridge leading to the Eiffel Tower, Wednesday, Sept. 23, 2020 in Paris. Paris police have blockaded the area around the Eiffel Tower after a phone-in bomb threat.

A woman walks past police officers securing the bridge leading to the Eiffel Tower, Wednesday, Sept. 23, 2020 in Paris. Paris police have blockaded the area around the Eiffel Tower after a phone-in bomb threat.

AP

Paris police received an anonymous call early Wednesday, stating that a bomb was located within the Eiffel Tower, according to Fox News.

The monument has since been reopened and no explosives have been found, a spokeswoman for the Paris police told CNBC.

Police have declined to release full details of the anonymous threat.

French journalist Amaury Bucco tweeted that a man was shouting and threatening to detonate a device that would “blow up everything” earlier in the morning.

After the threat was phoned in, hundreds of tourists and locals were evacuated from the area.

“It was an orderly evacuation, there was no panic,” a Parisian tour guide said, who was on-site when the order was given.

Police blocked off the streets around the tower, including the bridge that crosses over the Seine River to Trocadero Plaza. The tape started to be removed about two hours later after officers found nothing suspicious at the monument or nearby, according to The New York Times.

Each day the Eiffel Tower has around 25,000 visitors in normal years, but with the ongoing coronavirus pandemic and travel restrictions, visitors have significantly decreased, per Fox News.