Christopher Pekny was going to be a father.
Pekny — a 28-year-old man from Liberty, New York — was set to have a baby. And he wanted to reveal the gender to his family and friends, including his brother, Michael Pekny.
So Chris and his brother worked on a device that would share the baby’s gender with the world. But the device malfunctioned unexpectedly.
Chris Pekney, the expectant father, died from the explosion, according to the New York State Police department. His brother sustained multiple injuries.
Police are still investigating the incident to find the reason for the explosion. No criminal charges have been filed from the incident, according to The Washington Post.
“It has been two nights in a row of not being able to sleep, waiting, hoping to hear that this is all some crazy misunderstanding,” Peter Pekny, the oldest brother, told The Washington Post. “But we all know that’s not the reality here.”
Peter Pekny told The New York Times that the incident was “the freakiest of freak accidents that I could ever imagine.”
“He was really looking forward to starting a family,” Peter Pekny told The New York Times of his brother, Christopher. “He was really starting to settle down and grow up.”
Pekny’s untimely death comes as gender reveal parties have created other deaths and major injuries. According to CBS News, a Michigan man was killed in February when shrapnel struck him from gender reveal canon.