Dr. Anthony Fauci, one of the country’s top infectious disease experts, doesn’t want you to think the COVID-19 vaccine from Johnson & Johnson is less effective than others.
- “When you have a company like Johnson & Johnson that has a very good track record with pharmaceuticals, to have them be in the mix with the other two is nothing but good news.”
Fauci was asked about concerns over the J&J vaccine, which is 72% effective compared to Moderna’s vaccine, which is 95% effective.
- Fauci said: “People should get vaccinated. ... Where a vaccine becomes available, take it.”
- “This is a race between the virus and getting vaccines into people. The longer someone waits to get vaccinated, the better chance the virus has to get a variant or a mutation. So the sooner we get vaccine into the arms of individuals, whatever that vaccine is, once it gets approved by the FDA, if it’s available to you, get it.”
On Wednesday, Johnson & Johnson’s single-dose COVID-19 vaccine was revealed to be safe and effective, according to a new analysis from the Food and Drug Administration, The Wall Street Journal reports.
- There were no deaths among those who received the vaccine, The Wall Street Journal reports.
- The vaccine also ”demonstrated complete protection against COVID-related hospitalization and death, 28 days post-vaccination,” according to Johnson & Johnson.
The new J&J vaccine could be approved for use “as soon as this weekend,” The Washington Post reports.