Facebook Twitter

Tropical Storm Fred is battering coasts. Here’s what to expect next

Tropical Storm Fred reached the Florida Panhandle on Monday

SHARE Tropical Storm Fred is battering coasts. Here’s what to expect next
A NOAA satellite image shows a tropical storm east of Puerto Rico.

This satellite image from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration shows a tropical storm east of Puerto Rico.

NOAA/NESDIS/STAR GOES via Associated Press

Tropical Storm Fred might be the next major storm to make landfall in the United States as it starts to form in the Atlantic Ocean.

Here are the latest updates and forecasts for the storm.


Fred is battering North Carolina and threatens the Northeast

Thursday, Aug. 19

Tropical Storm Fred is now a post-tropical cyclone, but it is still bringing heavy rainfall and threatening conditions to parts of the East Coast.

  • Per CNN, the storm has caused heavy flooding in some North Carolina counties.

Parts of New England and New York saw heavy rainfall for the storm, too.

  • States such as New York, Connecticut, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine all have flash flood watches as Fred continues to drop rainfall on those areas.

Tropical Storm Fred reaches Florida

Monday, Aug. 16

Tropical Storm Fred made landfall in the Florida Panhandle on Monday, bringing threats of flooding rain, strong winds, storm surge and isolated tornadoes, according to The Weather Channel. Rain and possible flooding is expected to spread across Alabama, Georgia, parts of the Carolinas and mid-Atlantic region through Monday night.

 Wind speeds have ranged from 50 to 65 mph along the Florida coast.


Tropical Depression Fred on a potential path toward Florida

Thursday, Aug. 12

Tropical Depression Fred — which was once Tropical Storm Fred — is moving across eastern Cuba and near the southeastern part of the Bahamas, according to The Weather Channel.

  • Heavy rainfall and massive winds are expected to hit Hispaniola, the Bahamas and Cuba through the rest of this week and even into next week.

Florida might see some weather changes from the storm, too. In fact, Fred could bring rain and wind over the weekend, according to The Weather Channel.

  • “For now, Floridians should monitor the forecast closely given Fred’s current most likely path,” per The Weather Channel.

Though the storm has become weaker in recent days, there’s still potential for it to gain strength when it rushes through the eastern Gulf of Mexico, according to Fox News.


Tropical Storm Fred heads toward Puerto Rico

Wednesday, Aug. 11

Forecasters with the National Hurricane Center told WESH-TV that Tropical Storm Fred has started to form west of Guadeloupe and east-southeast of Ponce, Puerto Rico.

  • The storm is expected to move quickly throughout the next few days.
  • Per WESH-TV, the storm “is expected pass near or over the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico late Tuesday and Tuesday night, and near or over Hispaniola on Wednesday.”

Tropical storm warnings have been issued to Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands as the system continues to build, according to The Weather Channel.

Hurricane season 2021: What to expect

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration released an update to its predictions for the 2021 Atlantic hurricane season earlier this month. Forecasters expect there will be a number of named storms throughout the season.

  • NOAA said there is currently a 65% chance the Atlantic hurricane season will be above normal with more named storms than normal. However, NOAA said there is a 25% chance of a normal season and 10% chance of the below-normal season, as I explained in the Deseret News.