clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Officials issue stark warning about the upcoming hurricane season

Hurricane season for 2021 will be busier than experts originally thought it would be

Tropical Storm Elsa in the Gulf of Mexico.
Tropical Storm Elsa in the Gulf of Mexico off the coast of Florida is pictured in a satellite image. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration released an update to its predictions for the 2021 Atlantic hurricane season, saying there are an increased number of named storms and hurricanes to come.
NOAA via Associated Press

The upcoming Atlantic hurricane season will be busier than originally thought, an indication that there might be more hurricane storms on the way.

Hurricane season 2021 predictions, revealed

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration released an update to its predictions for the 2021 Atlantic hurricane season, saying expectations are there will be an increased number of named storms and hurricanes to come.

  • NOAA said it could be a busy year, though not one that would shatter records.
  • Per NBC News, NOAA said back in May that there would be 13 to 20 storms for the season.

Why will it be a busy hurricane season?

NOAA said there is a 65% chance the Atlantic hurricane season will be above normal with a 25% chance of a normal season and 10% chance of the below-normal season.

  • “A mix of competing oceanic and atmospheric conditions generally favor above-average activity for the remainder of the Atlantic hurricane season, including the potential return of La Nina in the months ahead,” said Matthew Rosencrans, lead seasonal hurricane forecaster at NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center.

What hurricanes have we seen?

Tropical Storm Elsa briefly became a hurricane in early July before it was downgraded to a tropical storm, as I wrote for the Deseret News. The storm ended up bring massive floods to New York City.

When does hurricane season start?

In most years, hurricane season will last through the end of November, per NBC News. The peak will last from middle of August until the middle of October.