Gabby Petito’s stepfather, Jim Schmidt, recently said Petito’s family is “speechless” over boyfriend Brian Laundrie’s silence in the ongoing missing person case.
What happened to Gabby Petito?
Petito was reported missing on Sept. 11 after a cross-country road trip with her boyfriend, Laundrie. The two visited multiple states on their trip, including Utah.
- But Laundrie was the only one who returned home, returning to North Port, Florida, on Sept. 1. Petito’s was last seen on Aug. 30 at Grand Teton National Park.
Did Brian Laundrie speak about Gabby Petito?
Since then, Laundrie has refused to speak with the police about the case. Laundrie’s attorney, Steve Bertolino, released a statement from the Laundrie family about the missing Petito, per ABC 7 New York.
- “This is an extremely difficult time for both the Petito family and the Laundrie family. I understand that a search has been organized for Miss Petito in or near Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming,” the statement read. “On behalf of the Laundrie family, it is our hope that the search for Miss Petito is successful and that Miss Petito is re-united with her family. On the advice of counsel, the Laundrie family is remaining in the background at this juncture and will have no further comment.”
Gabby Petito’s stepfather speaks on Brian Laundrie
Now, her stepfather, Schmidt, said the family has been frustrated that Laundrie won’t speak to police, even though he was likely the last person to see Petito.
- “Frustrating is an understatement,” Schmidt said on “America’s Newsroom,” a Fox News Channel program.
- “It makes no sense to any one of us why he won’t come out and speak. He’s the one that was traveling with her. They were going across the country together,” he said.
- “You have information. You’re still hiding behind this attorney. We don’t understand why.”
Does Brian Laundrie have information on Gabby Petito?
North Port Police Chief Todd Garrison said on CNN’s “Don Lemon Tonight” Thursday night that he thinks Laundrie and his family has some more information about Petito.
- “I believe Brian has the information,” he said.
- “I believe people around Brian may also have the information, and we are pleading to those people to come forward. Provide us the information that we need to find Gabby and reunite Gabby with her family because she deserves it and her family deserves it,” he said.