Facebook Twitter

South Jordan police investigating baby’s death as a homicide

SHARE South Jordan police investigating baby’s death as a homicide

Adrian Keith Barrows died Oct. 7, 2019, according to the infant’s obituary and South Jordan police, who are investigating the death of the 6-week-old boy as a homicide.


SOUTH JORDAN — South Jordan police confirmed Tuesday they are actively investigating the death of a 6-week-old boy in October as a homicide.

As of Tuesday, no arrests had been made and no charges filed in the case as detectives wait for test results from items submitted to a crime lab for analysis.

Emergency crews were called to an apartment in South Jordan on Oct. 5 on a report of an infant who was “unresponsive and having difficulty breathing.”

The infant was initially taken to Riverton Hospital where a CT scan revealed a brain bleed, according to search warrant affidavits filed in 3rd District Court. The boy was then transported to Primary Children's Hospital where a doctor who specializes in child abuse cases determined the infant had “sustained abnormal injuries for a child that age, and injuries which couldn’t be caused by the infant doing something himself.

“The injuries were consistent with abusive head trauma and non-accidental trauma. (The infant) sustained a bleed in the brain, which caused swelling and eventually led to death,” according to a warrant served in October.

Adrian Keith Barrows died Oct. 7, according to the infant’s obituary.

Adrian “was found to have subconjunctival hemorrhage along with retinal hemorrhage,” the warrants state.

An attorney for one of Adrian’s parents told police that “from his experience, the infant sustained the injuries from a child bouncer. The attorney stated (a parent) got too rough and bounced the child too hard. The attorney suggested it wasn’t out of anger,” according to a warrant served on Oct. 10.

Detectives seized the cellphones of both parents to examine their call, text and social media histories, the warrants state. They were waiting for the cellphones to be examined before presenting their case to the Salt Lake County District Attorney’s Office to be reviewed for potential charges.