clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Bounce house sparks fire, power outages in Draper

A strong gust of wind caught a bounce house being set up in Draper and sent it flying into power lines, resulting in a fire on Thursday, Sept. 19, 2019. Rocky Mountain Power reported the incident knocked out power to over 3,000 customers in the area.
A strong gust of wind caught a bounce house being set up in Draper and sent it flying into power lines, resulting in a fire on Thursday, Sept. 19, 2019. Rocky Mountain Power reported the incident knocked out power to over 3,000 customers in the area.
Jeff Neslen

DRAPER — A bounce house and wayward gust of wind sparked a fire in Draper on Thursday, causing about 3,100 homes in the nearby area to lose power.

A business near 651 W. Galena Park Blvd. was setting up a corn maze for a Halloween event Thursday afternoon when the bounce house was picked up by the wind and pushed into a power line, according to the Draper Fire Department.

“A big gust of wind must have come and knocked it up and put it right over the top of the power lines and that was the big zap we heard, basically,” said Jeff Neslen, a neighbor who witnessed the incident.

No injuries were reported.