SALT LAKE CITY — Utah confirmed 596 more positive COVID-19 tests and five more deaths on Friday, health officials said.
The new cases were reported out of 10,250 tests, for a 5.8% positive rate. They bring the state’s total since the pandemic began to 23,866 cases out of 356,636 tested, a 6.7% positive rate, according to the Utah Department of Health.
Five more individuals have died — a Summit County man between the age of 65-84 who was hospitalized at the time of his death, a Weber County man between the ages of 25-44 who was a long-term care facility resident, and a Salt Lake County man between the age of 65-84 who was also a long-term care facility resident.
Two women also died, both long-term care facility residents and between the ages of 65-85. One was from Salt Lake County and the other was from Washington County.
Those five individuals brings the state’s death toll to 181 people.
The Utah Department of Health also reported another 24 people have been hospitalized with COVID-19 since Thursday’s report. Now, 186 people with COVID-19 are hospitalized, 24 more than there were yesterday.
Eighty-five COVID-19 patients are in intensive care units, which are running at 64.8% capacity. There are also 46 people hospitalized whose cases are “under investigation.” Nonintensive care units are 52.4% full, according to Utah Department of Health data. Of the state’s 1,299 ventilators, 211 are in use by coronavirus and other patients.
Health officials say 13,409 of the state’s cases are now considered recovered after passing the three-week point since their diagnosis.
The latest breakdown of Utah cases, hospitalizations and deaths by health district:
- Salt Lake County, 12,050; 832 hospitalized; 112 deaths.
- Utah County, 4,340; 226 hospitalized; 22 deaths.
- Bear River (Box Elder, Cache, Rich), 1,568; 55 hospitalized; 3 deaths.
- Southwest Utah, 1,625; 102 hospitalized; 14 deaths.
- Davis County, 1,322; 89 hospitalized; 5 deaths.
- Weber-Morgan, 1,090; 77 hospitalized; 14 deaths.
- Summit County, 508; 47 hospitalized; 1 death.
- San Juan County, 403; 55 hospitalized; 9 deaths.
- Wasatch County, 418; 20 hospitalized; 3 deaths.
- Tooele County, 255; 12 hospitalized; 0 deaths.
- Central Utah, 194; 11 hospitalized; 0 deaths.
- TriCounty (Uinta Basin), 53; 3 hospitalized; 0 deaths.
- Southeast Utah, 40; 0 hospitalized; 0 deaths.