Utah Gov. Spencer Cox announced late last week that he plans to speed up COVID-19 vaccinations in Utah, adding new groups to the list of people who can receive the vaccine, the Deseret News reported. Cox outlined plans of an executive order to make sure this happens.
A total of 89,431 vaccine doses had been reported administered as of Friday, less than half of the just under 199,000 doses that have been delivered to the state since the first shipments arrived at Salt Lake-area hospitals in mid-December, according to the Utah Department of Health.
- “That’s still far below where we should be at this point,” Cox said.
- “There is nothing more important in all of our careers collectively than what we are doing right now. This is what the world has been waiting for. This is what we will be judged by, our ability to get these lifesaving and career saving and economy saving and health saving drugs out to the people who need them the most,” he added.
- “It is unacceptable to have vaccines sitting on the shelf and moving forward, I assure you, there will be no vaccines sitting on a shelf,” he said.
Per the Utah coronavirus vaccine website, Utah will start distributing the COVID-19 vaccine to the following groups:
- Health care workers.
- Long-term care facility staff and residents.
- First responders.
- Utahns 70 years and older (beginning Jan. 18).
Some extra notes:
- People must schedule your appointment ahead of time.
- Don’t show up without an appointment.
- “Please understand we have limited vaccines and that appointments will fill up quickly. It may take a few tries to get an appointment,” according to the Utah coronavirus vaccine page.
How to book an appointment:
Booking an appointment seems pretty easy. You just need to contact your local health department to schedule your vaccination. You can also ask any vaccination questions.
Here are the phone numbers and contact info for all of the health departments listed on the website:
Bear River Health Department (Box Elder, Cache, and Rich counties)
Central Utah Public Health Department (Juab, Millard, Piute, Sanpete, Sevier and Wayne counties)
San Juan Public Health Department
Southeast Utah Health Department (Carbon, Emery and Grand counties)
- 435-637-3671 (Price office)
- 435-381-2252 (Castle Dale office)
- 435-259-5602 (Moab office)
Southwest Utah Public Health Department (Beaver, Garfield, Iron, Kane and Washington counties)
- 435-673-3528 (Washington County office)
- 435-586-2437 (Iron County office)
- 435-644-2537 (Kane County office)
- 435-438-2482 (Beaver County office)
- 435-676-8800 (Garfield County office)
TriCounty Health Department (Daggett, Duchesne and Uintah counties)
- 435-247-1177 (Vernal office)
- 435-722-6300 (Roosevelt office)
Weber-Morgan Health Department (Morgan and Weber counties)