West High student stole firearm from family member, brought it to school, police say

A student stole a firearm from a family member and brought it to West High School on Monday, prompting a lockdown of the building, according to police.

Students at the school are safe, according to Salt Lake Police Sgt. Mark Wian. The student was taken into custody, and two others were detained in connection with the incident, police said in a news release.

About 10 a.m. Monday, school resource officers and West High administrators began investigating a potential threat of violence, Wian said. Police initially got information that a student possibly had a firearm at the school, according to the release.

Classes continued while the school went into lockdown, said Salt Lake City School District spokeswoman Yandary Zavala Chatwin. The lockdown started within minutes of police notifying administrators about the threat, the police news release said.

School resource officers identified three students who were connected to the case, according to the release. Parents or guardians of all three students have been notified of the situation, police said.

Police conducted a thorough search of the school campus and determined it to be safe, so the lockdown was lifted and students continued with their day, the release said. The other students at the school were safe, Wian added.

However, police are still searching for the firearm associated with the incident, according to the release. If anyone encounters the firearm, they are asked not to touch it and to call 911, police said.

One of the students was transported to the Salt Lake Valley Detention Center, and their case will be referred to the 3rd District Juvenile Court to be screened for potential charges, police said. One of the students was released to their parents, but their case may be screened for charges later, according to police.

As of Monday afternoon, police were still investigating the third student's involvement in the incident. Investigators had not yet decided whether that student would be released to their parent or guardian or if the student would be taken to the detention center, the release said.

It's not clear if the student who allegedly brought the gun to school was the student who was taken to the detention center. Police didn't identify the students or disclose their ages.

Police are still investigating the incident, and anyone with information about the case is asked to call 801-799-3000. Police didn't provide any other details about the incident.

Contributing: Ashley Imlay

Correction: A previous version of this story said two students were taken into custody during the incident. Police confirmed that three students were detained, but only one has been taken into custody.