A boy was hospitalized with second-degree burns after he and a friend melted a fence with matches in Salt Lake City on Saturday night, officials said.
The two 8- or 9-year-old boys were playing with matches on Navajo Street around 6:20 p.m., Salt Lake City Fire Capt. Tony Stowe said. One of the boys ended up getting second degrees on 90% of his body, burning most of his clothing. Neighbors were able to wrap him in a blanket to extinguish the fire.
The boy was taken to Primary Children's Hospital in critical condition.