clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Gabby Petito’s family calls for boyfriend to ‘come forward’ with answers

Gabby Petito’s family responded to Brian Laundrie’s statement about the missing girl

Gabby Petito is missing.
Gabby Petito’s family responded to Brian Laundrie’s statement about the missing girl.
Suffolk County Police Department

Gabby Petito’s family has responded to Brian Laundrie’s statement with a statement of their own, calling on Laundrie to come forward with whatever he knows about the missing Petito.

Petito, a 22-year-old woman from New York, went missing after a road trip with Laundrie, her boyfriend. The two traveled across the country, spending weeks in Utah.

  • However, just over the weekend, the vehicle they used — a white 2012 Ford Transit van, which had Florida plates — was recovered on Saturday in North Port, Florida, where Laundrie and Petito were living.

Earlier this week, Laundrie’s attorney, Steve Bertolino, released a statement from Laundrie about the missing Petito, per ABC 7 New York.

  • “This is an extremely difficult time for both the Petito family and the Laundrie family. I understand that a search has been organized for Miss Petito in or near Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming,” the statement read. “On behalf of the Laundrie family, it is our hope that the search for Miss Petito is successful and that Miss Petito is re-united with her family. On the advice of counsel, the Laundrie family is remaining in the background at this juncture and will have no further comment.”

Now, Petito’s family has responded in a statement of their own.

  • “Brian is refusing to tell Gabby’s family where he last saw her,” the statement reads. “Brian is also refusing to explain why he left Gabby all alone and drove her van to Florida. These are critical questions that require immediate answers.”

The family said the Laundrie family should help find Gabby Petito and get out of the background.

Investigators continue to look into the disappearance case. On Wednesday, Moab Police Chief Bret Edge confirmed to the Deseret News that police were called to an incident involving Petito and Laundrie on Aug. 12.

  • “Our officers did respond to an incident involving Brian Laundrie and Gabrielle Petito on 12 August 2021, however, neither Brian or Gabrielle were the reporting party,” Edge said in an email to the Deseret News.
  • “Officers conducted an investigation and determined that insufficient evidence existed to justify criminal charges,” he said.