The case of the missing 22-year-old woman Gabby Petito took a dark turn on Sunday when the FBI said it had found human remains that were consistent with the description of Petito.
- “Earlier today, human remains were discovered consistent with the description of Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito,” said FBI Supervisory Agent Charles Jones at a press conference Sunday.
The FBI said there was no cause of death determined in the case, but more analysis will be done.
But Brian Laundrie, her boyfriend who traveled the country with her this summer, remains missing.
What happened to Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie?
Petito, 22, and Laundrie were on a cross-country road trip this summer. On Sept. 1, Laundrie returned home to Florida without Petito. Ten days later, Petito was reported missing. Her last known whereabouts were Grand Teton National Park on Aug. 30.
- Laundrie hired a lawyer after he returned home. He invoked his Fifth Amendment right not to speak about the case. North Port police deemed Laundrie a “person of interest” in the case because of the information he had pertaining to Petito’s whereabouts.
When did Brian Laundrie go missing?
On Friday, the North Port police in Florida visited the Laundrie home in North Port due to a request from the Laundrie family. The police entered with an evidence bag.
- After leaving the home, North Port Police said in a statement that Laundrie is missing, too.
- “The attorney for the Laundrie family called FBI investigators Friday night indicating the family would like to talk about the disappearance of their son,” the police said. “The family now claims that they have not seen Brian since Tuesday of this week.”
Where is Brian Laundrie now?
Police started a search over the weekend at the 25,000-acre Carlton Reserve, which is near the Laundrie home.
On Monday morning, the North Port police said in an email to the Deseret News that the search for Petito’s boyfriend, Laundrie, will continue, but move to a different location.
- “The North Port Police Department currently has no plans to conduct a major search of the Carlton Reserve today,” the department said, referencing the location where the search had been focused before.
- The police department said in an email that “we currently believe we have exhausted all avenues in searching of the grounds there.”
But, law enforcement agencies will continue to search for Laundrie on Monday.