Facebook Twitter

Spenser Heaps, Deseret News

Police identify 3 dead after overnight SWAT situation at Millcreek

SHARE Police identify 3 dead after overnight SWAT situation at Millcreek
SHARE Police identify 3 dead after overnight SWAT situation at Millcreek

Police have identified the three people found dead after police were able to enter a Millcreek home at about 3:30 p.m. Saturday after an overnight SWAT situation.

Three Millcreek residents were found dead in a home in the area of 3900 South and Highland Drive, Salt Lake County Sheriff Rosie Rivera said.

An elderly woman had been rescued from the home Friday night by police officers who came under gunfire while doing so, but no officers were injured and none fired their weapons during the extended incident, police said.

The suspect has been identified as Jacob Andrew Legrande, 30, police said. Jacob Legrande was found dead, along with a man and a woman in the home who were killed, Bonne Rachelle Brady, 54, and Timothy Andrew Legrande, 53. Police believe the three died of gunshot wounds, Rivera said, but the investigation is ongoing.

The situation began Friday when a man approached officers at the Unified Police Department Millcreek substation and told police gunshots had been fired in the nearby home and an elderly woman was inside. When officers arrived at the scene, they heard additional shots being fired and rushed into the home under gunfire to remove an older female hostage to safety, Unified Police said.

Initial reports from police indicated that the older woman suffered some injuries due to age, but police said Saturday that she was uninjured.

Police negotiated with Jacob Legrande as he remained in the home Friday night, but the suspect ceased negotiating after several hours. Efforts to communicate with him continued into Saturday afternoon.

The suspect was "fully armed with several firearms and a lot of ammunition," Rivera said. Jacob Legrande fired multiple times, but no return shots from the police were fired, officials said.

While officers believe the situation began after family members tried to have an "intervention" with Legrande, "it will take more conversations with other family members and witnesses to find out really what initiated this whole thing," Rivera said, adding that mental health could have played a role as well.

The West Valley, Salt Lake City and South Valley SWAT teams also responded to the incident and the Unified Fire Authority's bomb squad provided logistical support.

"(The officers) are exhausted. It's been several hours and wearing that type of equipment, it does take a toll on everybody," Rivera said. "Hopefully they can spend the rest of the holiday resting."

The area had a massive police presence through Friday night, and residents were told to shelter in place. No neighbors were believed to be injured in the incident, Rivera said.

"We feel now that the community is safe," Rivera said.

Contributing: Andrew Adams, Greg Anderson