150 years ago

Dedication of the Seventies Hall in Nauvoo, Ill., was held from Dec. 26-30, 1844, according to History of the Church 7:330.

According to the account, "The services commenced under the direction of President Joseph Young (senior president of the First Quorum of the Seventy), who organized the meeting in the following order:

"The stand was occupied by the Seven Presiding Presidents of the Seventy, and the Twelve or as many of them as were present. The senior president of each quorum was seated on the right, the choir of singers on the left, and the brass band in front. The second and third quorums in order, with their families, occupied the other seats for the day.

"Each day afforded a new congregation, that all the seventies, with their families, might in turn participate in the privilege of the dedication, according to their respective quorums, there being fifteen quorums whose claims were equal, two of which convened in the hall each day. . . .

"The excellent melody of the choir and band, mingling with the devout aspirations of a congregation of all Saints, gave the commencement of their services an air of interest, felicity and glory, at one feeling, touching, pathetic, grand, sublime!"

Quote from the past

"One of God's greatest gifts to man is freedom of choice." - President N. Eldon Tanner, in an address given in general conference April 7, 1973.